Tuesday, May 03, 2005

First Practice - Instructional Little League

This is my first year as a head coach for my son's 7-8 year old little league baseball team. I have assisted for a few years, and figured I'd give it a try. I'm lucky enough to have been taught sound baseball fundamentals by my father, and John Valle a former AAA ball player in the Orioles organization. I am by no means an expert, just a parent whom has an interest in passing along my knowledge and passion for baseball to my son.

This is the approach i'm taking for my first practice, comments suggestions are always appreciated.
  1. Organize -- Strategize your practice before heading out to the field. I like to start out with a short "meet & greet" with parents and kids. It's important that everyone is on the same page. Be up front with both players & parents regarding your coaching philosophy (i.e. having fun and learning is more important than winning).
  2. Play Catch -- The ability to catch a baseball at a young age is critical to a players safety and your teams success. Focus on using two hands, catching the ball out in front, and watching the ball into the glove.
  3. Throwing -- Make sure the arms are up and the shoulder is pointed toward the target. Also watch for a proper follow-through. Hurt arms have ended many a good player's career.
  4. Run the Bases -- teach kids to run through first base, and how to get a good jump wen on base. The force out at second base is a common rally killer.
  5. Hitting Basics -- Watch each of your players hit off a tee so you can get a feel for each hitters skill level. Early on, most mechanics will be shaky. A balanced stance, and watching the ball is probably most important. I want my players to be aggressive swingers. Put the ball in play and positive things will happen. If you are lucky enough to have a few assistants, split your team into small groups for drills such as soft-toss. I will share some reviews of hitting training equipment I like to use, a little later on.
  6. In the Field -- This is the "fun" part. Getting players familiar with postions and which base to throw to or cover is a challenge. I have my young outfielders always throw the ball in to second base. Teaching your right fielder to back-up first on every infield grounder looking for errant throws is also a smart idea. Knowing different situations and what to do when the ball is hit, takes time to teach and learn. Have patience...it'll come.

These are some of my suggestions, feel free to post any tips or ideas that work for you. I will post a follow after practice #1 to relate how my strategy plays out.

No comments: